- Chicken Layer
- ¾ lb ground chicken or meat -
- ½ cup breadcrumbs -
- 2 frozen basil cubes -
- 1 frozen garlic cube -
- 2 eggs -
- ½ tsp salt -
- Mushroom Layer
- 2 Tbsp oil -
- 2 Tbsp margarine, or more oil -
- 2 shallots -
- 1½ lb mushrooms (shiitake, Portobello, button) -
- 2 Tbsp flour -
- ¼ cup full-bodied red wine -
- ½ tsp chicken consommé, dissolved in ¼ cup water -
- salt and pepper to taste -
- Potato Layer
- 3 white potatoes -
- 2 Tbsp margarine, or oil -
- paprika, for sprinkling -
- 8 precut squares puff pastry -
1. Combine all ingredients for chicken layer in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat margarine and oil in a pan. Sauté shallots and mushrooms until they begin to soften, about 4–6 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine. Add wine and chicken consommé and continue to cook until liquid is fully absorbed.
3. Cook potatoes in salt water. Drain and mash. Add margarine or oil and mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8 individual disposable aluminum baking cups with baking spray. Line each cup with a square of puff pastry.
5. To assemble: Fill each cup halfway with chicken mixture. Add 1 Tbsp of mushroom mixture and top with mashed potatoes. If you have a piping bag with a large star tip, use it to pipe the potatoes in a large swirl. Sprinkle with paprika for color.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
This recipe is part of a contest "7 Amateur Chefs- Recipe Contest" click here to view the other entries.
This recipe was featured in Kosher Scoop Issue 7, Dec 2011 brought to you by Mishpacha Magazine.