These are the answer to a carb-free dieter
- Oregano Pesto
- 2-3 cups lightly packed fresh oregano leaves -
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pine nuts -
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh, flat-leaf parsley leaves -
- 1 small clove garlic -
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste -
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil -
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, skins cut off and gills cleaned out -
- 1 package grated mozzarella cheese (8 oz. or 227 g) -
1. Place all pesto ingredients except olive oil into food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment. Pulse until ingredients are combined. With machine on, slowly pour oil in and process, scraping the sides of the bowl when needed. Mix until pasty.
2. Preheat oven to 400° F. Place portobello mushrooms on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 4 minutes until just softened. Remove from oven and brush generously with pesto. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over pesto and bake for 4 more minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Just prior to serving, preheat oven to broil and broil portobello pizzas for 2 minutes, until the cheese starts to turn brown and crispy.
NOTE: Use a spoon to scrape out the gills.