Here is an easy yet elegant dish which officially calls for penne noodles, but I have made it with other types as well, including spirals and even good ol
- 5 Tbsp butter -
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped -
- ¼ cup flour -
- 1½ cups milk -
- 1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes, broken into pieces, with the juice -
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste -
- Salt and pepper to taste -
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional) -
- 12 oz. penne noodles (approximately 4 cups), cooked according to directions on package -
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese -
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped -
- 3 green onions, chopped -
1. In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes without browning.
2. Stir in flour, cooking 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly to make it smooth.
4. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
5. Add the hot cooked pasta to the tomato sauce mixture.
6. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with parsley and green onions. Serve warm.