The orange gives this classic honey cake a sophisticated twist, taking honey cake to a whole new level. If you don
- 1 whole seedless orange, cut in chunks (do not peel) -
- 6 eggs -
- 1½ cups sugar -
- 1½ cups honey -
- 3 cups flour -
- 1½ tsp baking powder -
- 1½ tsp baking soda -
- ¾ cup strong coffee (or 1½ Tbsp instant coffee dissolved in ¾ cup boiling water) -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a kugelhopf pan (turban-shaped tube pan) very well.
2. Place orange in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse with quick on/offs until finely minced. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs with sugar until light, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for orange and mix until combined. Add orange to batter and mix until combined.
4. Pour batter into greased kugelhopf pan, leaving about 3 inches for cake to expand during baking.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes. (When you insert a cake tester, it will come out without any batter clinging to it.) If there is any remaining batter, place it in a small baking pan and bake for 50 minutes.
NOTE: This cake tastes terrific with Maple Glaze