These muffins are simple yet elegant. The orange juice and cherries combine to create a unique blend of flavors. You can try mixing extra cherries into the batter, but you may get pink colored muffins as a result!
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted -
- ¾ cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling -
- 2¼ cups flour -
- 1½ tsp baking powder -
- ½ tsp baking soda -
- ½ tsp salt -
- 3 Tbsp canola oil -
- 2 eggs -
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice -
- 1 tsp orange zest -
- 1 cup morello (or Hungarian) cherries, well drained -
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Line 12 compartments of a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
3. Melt the butter or margarine in a microwave or saucepan and remove from heat. Add sugar and mix — sugar will not dissolve.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine all ingredients except cherries and mix on low speed just until combined.
5. Using a ladle, spoon batter into muffin pans. Top each muffin with 3 or 4 cherries and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
NOTE: Fresh cranberries make a nice substitute for the cherries when they are in season, although they are more tart. Blueberries also work well.