The oranges and cloves in this recipe add subtle flavor to an old-time classic. My family loves it half frozen (or half defrosted) for a refreshing dessert after a meal.
- 3 lbs. Macintosh or other cooking apples, peeled -
- 3 lbs. Bartlett pears, peeled -
- ¼ cup sugar -
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar or 1 vanilla bean -
- 1 Tbsp whole cloves -
- ½ orange (with peel) -
1. Cut the apples and pears into quarters and then in half again. Place into a pot with the remaining ingredients. Add only enough water to cover the fruit halfway.
2. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium-low heat. Cook for half an hour or until the fruit begins to fall apart, stirring occasionally. Remove the orange and vanilla bean if using and let the compote cool in the covered pot.
3. Remove and store in an airtight container. Serve chilled.