These chocolate-covered apples are my grandmother
- 6 Cortland apples -
- Ground cinnamon -
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries -
- 2 cups chocolate chips or coffee chocolate chips -
- 1 Tbsp oil -
- Fresh fruit and dessert whip to garnish -
1. Core each apple halfway through, leaving the bottom of the core intact.
2. Peel each apple halfway (removing skin from top half).
3. Sprinkle cinnamon generously and fill the cavity with the raisins or cranberries.
4. Place an apple into a glass dessert bowl and microwave on high for 4 or 5 minutes per apple or until baked, but not too soft.
5. Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips until smooth. Add oil and mix continuously until combined. Pour over warm apples and leave to set.
6. Garnish with fresh fruit and dessert whip right before serving.
TIP If you don’t have a microwave, you can bake the apples in the oven at 350° F for about 20 minutes or until they are soft to the touch, but not mushy.