Pumpkin is sold in cans in the United States and is sold in other places in a pur
- 4 eggs -
- 1½ cups sugar -
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour -
- 2 tsp baking powder -
- 2 tsp baking soda -
- 1 tsp salt -
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon -
- ½ tsp nutmeg -
- ½ tsp allspice -
- ½ tsp ginger -
- 1 cup oil -
- ½ cup water (or reserved pumpkin juice) -
- 4 cups puréed pumpkin -
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional) -
1. Beat the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on high until light.
2. Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
3. Add the oil and water to the mixer and mix on low speed. Add the dry ingredients. Add the pumpkin and mix until just combined. Stir in the nuts, if using.
4. Place in well-greased muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
NOTES Due to the heaviness of the whole wheat flour, the muffins will not rise too much, so fill the muffin tins all the way to the top.
You can also use 2 cups regular whole wheat flour mixed with 1 cup all purpose flour.
You can serve these as muffins, too. After they have cooled, add a glaze made of confectioner’s sugar mixed with a bit of water, and then top them off with toasted pumpkin seeds!