These delicious kugels freeze well and are an excellent accompaniment to any meat dish. I have been making a sweet zucchini muffin/kugel for many years and I was ready for a change. The recipe went through quite a metamorphosis until this more savory version was born.
- 3 eggs -
- 1 cup oil -
- ¼ cup sugar -
- 2 cups flour -
- 1½ tsp salt -
- 1 tsp baking powder -
- 4 medium-large zucchini, 2 peeled, 2 unpeeled -
- 1 Spanish onion -
- 12 button mushrooms -
- 1 clove garlic, minced -
- Pepper to taste -
1. Preheat over to 350° F.
2. In a bowl, mix the eggs, oil and sugar. Mix the flour, ½ teaspoon of the salt and baking powder together and pour into the egg mixture. Mix well. The batter will be a stiff consistency.
3. Grate the zucchini very finely, using the small holes of the grater. Add 1 tsp salt to the zucchini and mix. Place zucchini in a colander set up over a bowl to let all the liquid drip out.
4. Grate the onions and mushrooms finely (you can use a food processor) and mix with drained zucchini.
5. Add the zucchini, onions, mushrooms and garlic to prepared batter. Mix to combine.
6. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. Bake for ½ hour. When they are ready, remove from the muffin tins by loosening around the edges with a sharp knife. Cool on a wire rack.
NOTE: These can be served at room temperature or warm.