Meat roll, or meat loaf, is so versatile and easy to make. It is great served warm as a main dish and the leftovers can be used the next night served cold in sandwiches. Here I have shown it with hardboiled eggs as a decoration, but you can leave the eggs out if they don
- 1 lb. lean ground beef -
- 2 raw eggs -
- 1 carrot, shredded -
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped -
- 1 onion, finely chopped -
- 1 clove minced garlic -
- Salt and pepper to taste -
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs -
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled -
1. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (except hard-boiled eggs) together thoroughly, adding breadcrumbs last.
2. Pat the meat mixture onto the center of a large piece of parchment paper. Insert the hard-boiled eggs in the center of the meat.
3. Using the parchment paper, wrap the meat mixture into a log shape, securing both ends of the paper tightly. The hard-boiled eggs will be in the center of the meat roll.
4. Wrap the meat roll in aluminum foil without removing the parchment paper.
5. Put in a dish or baking pan and bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 2 hours.
6. Let the meat cool and slice diagonally.
TIP: My grandmother shared the secret to her delicious meatloaf. She cuts a hot dog into tiny pieces and adds it into the meat mixture. Why not give it a try?