I have a good friend who was looking for a healthier option to serve her husband who
- 1 12 oz. package fettuccine -
- 2 cups skim milk (or 1%) -
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour -
- 1 bay leaf -
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed -
- ½ cup freshly grated white Cheddar cheese (you can also use halfmozzarella/half-Cheddar shredded cheese combination) -
- ½ tsp Kosher salt -
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- Pinch ground nutmeg -
- 2 tsp butter or margarine or olive oil -
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley -
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese -
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, for garnish -
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together milk and flour in medium saucepan until flour is dissolved. Add bay leaf and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until mixture becomes slightly thickened.
3. Remove bay leaf and add grated cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese completely melts.
4. Drain pasta; transfer to large dairy bowl. Toss pasta with butter or oil and chopped parsley. Stir in cheese sauce and toss again.
5. Spoon pasta into 4 shallow serving bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley sprigs.