These originally started as our family
- 3 egg whites -
- 1¼ cups sugar plus extra for sprinkling on cookie sheet -
- 1½ cups ground almonds -
- 1½ cups ground filberts -
- Bittersweet chocolate, for melting (about 3.5 oz./100 g) -
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with oil or margarine and sprinkle with sugar.
3. Whip the egg whites in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and nuts and mix until just combined.
4. Wet hands and roll the mixture into evenly sized balls. Keep wetting your palms so that the mixture doesn’t stick. Place the balls on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
5. Using the palm of your hand, gently flatten each ball by pressing on it lightly.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Let cool on the pan — when hot, the cookies are still soft and fragile and will harden as they cool.
7. Melt bittersweet baking chocolate in a double boiler. Dip cookie halfway into melted chocolate and leave to dry on a piece of parchment paper