- 4 oz. fresh yeast (or 4 Tbsp yeast) -
- 1¼ cups sugar -
- 4 cups lukewarm water -
- 5 lbs. flour -
- 1½ cups oil -
- 2 whole eggs -
- 8 egg yolks -
- Pinch of salt -
- 1 cup apple juice or light grape juice -
- 8 egg whites -
- 1¼ cups cocoa -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 2½ Tbsp oil -
- Egg wash
- 1 egg yolk -
- 1 Tbsp water -
1. Place the yeast, sugar and 2 cups lukewarm water into the bowl of an electric mixer and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add all remaining ingredients, alternating dry and wet. Mix on high speed using the dough hook for a full 5 minutes. Cover dough and let rise for about 1 hour, until doubled.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling: Beat egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. After dough has risen, take challah.
5. Cut dough into 6 equal portions.
6. On a floured surface, roll each piece of dough out thinly and smear with 1⁄6 of the filling. Roll up tightly into a long rope. Fold rope in half and twist until the whole thing looks just like a twisted piece of rope. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Place in greased loaf pans, cover, let rise again for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350° F.
7. Mix ingredients for egg wash. Brush cake with mixture and bake for 45 minutes.