Bet you can
- 2 cups all-purpose flour -
- ½ tsp baking powder -
- ½ tsp baking soda -
- 1 pinch salt -
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling -
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature -
- Less than 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon) -
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese -
- 1½ Tbsp milk -
- 1 large egg -
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice -
- ½ tsp almond extract -
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced almonds -
1. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, butter and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta cheese and milk. Beat in the egg, lemon juice and almond extract. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended (the batter will be thick and fluffy).
4. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the almonds and some sugar over muffins. Bake until the muffins are just pale golden on top, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.