This dish is very light, quick and delicious. You can use frozen asparagus if fresh is unavailable and add a bit more lemon juice and zest if you like a really strong lemon flavor.
- 3 Tbsp light soy sauce -
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice -
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest -
- 1 tsp + 1 Tbsp cornstarch, divided -
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 3-inch strips -
- 1 Tbsp canola oil -
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped -
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces -
- ½ lb. asparagus, peeled and cut into diagonal pieces -
- ½ cup cashew nuts -
- 1 Tbsp water -
- ¼ tsp sugar -
1. In a medium bowl, stir together soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
2. Add chicken strips and coat well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and fry for about one minute until softened.
4. Reserving the marinade, add the drained chicken, followed by scallions and asparagus. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add cashews.
5. Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water and ¼ tsp sugar to reserved marinade. Mix well.
6. Add marinade to skillet and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 or 2 minutes, stirring often.
NOTE Discard the tough part of the asparagus spears before you peel and cut them to size.