This is an old-time family classic. We make it for dairy dinners or just as something to warm us up on a cold day. Another reason I think it became so popular is that it is so simple to make and doesn't take long to cook!
- butter - 2 Tbsp
- onion - 1, diced finely
- carrots - 3 large, peeled and grated
- green peas - 3 cups B'gan frozen
- Salt - and pepper to taste
- water - About 7 or 8 cups
- oatmeal - 1 cup instant
1. In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and carrots into butter and sauté until softened. (Keep heat on medium, since the butter can burn.) Add green peas and seasonings and cook a few more minutes.
2. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes. (Note: be aware that the soup will expand a bit after you add the oatmeal, so don’t fill your pot up to the top!)
3. Add oatmeal, stir, and cook for 15 minutes more.
VARIATION: I sometimes add chopped leek (just the white part) along with the carrots and onions.