What a beautiful and interesting combination this proved to be! We had unexpected guests one night for supper and I had very little time to prepare. I had the fish, the oranges and the sugar snap peas in the fridge and cut some fresh rosemary from my garden. Add a pot of orzo and presto
- 4 slices of halibut fillets or any white fish (about 2 lbs.) -
- 10-15 fresh sugar snap peas -
- 1 large orange -
- 4 Tbsp olive oil -
- 4 tsp honey teriyaki sauce -
- Kosher salt for seasoning -
- Black pepper for seasoning -
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary -
1. Preheat the BBQ grill to high.
2. Set out 4 rectangles of foil on a flat surface. Take another 4 rectangles of foil and place them in the opposite direction (to make an “X” shape). Lay a piece of halibut in the center of each piece of foil.
3. Trim tips from peas. Cut the orange into segments, first cutting away the skin all around, including a bit of the flesh. Cut out the segments from within the membrane of the orange by running the knife along the inside of each segment on both sides.
4. Coat each slice of fish with one Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey teryaki sauce and season with salt and pepper.
5. Sprinkle orange segments and sugar snap peas evenly over each slice of fish. Tear the rosemary leaves off the stem and sprinkle generously and evenly onto each fillet.
6. Close up the foil around the fish to create a sort of tent or triangle shape above the fish. Secure well.
7. Place foil packets on the grill and lower the flame after 2 minutes to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through. You can also bake these at 400° F for 15 minutes.
8. Remove packets from grill, but don’t open for another 5 minutes.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature.
VARIATION: You can substitute whole shiitake mushrooms for the sugar snap peas, or just add them into the recipe for something different.
TIP: These are great when prepared earlier in the day and then refrigerated a bit before grilling, giving the fish a chance to absorb all the delicious flavors.