- 3 cups flour -
- 3 tsp baking powder -
- 1 tsp baking soda -
- 1 tsp salt -
- 2 sticks melted margarine (or 1 cup oil) -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 3 eggs -
- ½ cup orange juice -
- ½ cup coffee whitener (or soy milk, for a healthier option) -
- Filling Mixture
- ½ cup brown sugar -
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee -
- 10 oz. chocolate chips (about 1½ cups) -
- 1 tsp instant coffee diluted in 3 Tbsp boiling water -
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar -
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Place flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add remaining ingredients one at a time and mix until blended.
3. Combine ingredients for filling in a medium bowl and mix well.
4. Pour 1⁄3 of the batter into a well-greased 10-inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle half the filling mixture, covering the layer of batter. Pour another 1⁄3 of the batter and sprinkle remaining mixture to cover the batter. Cover with remaining batter. (Try not to shake the pan too much.)
5. Place cake immediately in oven and bake for 55 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes, then invert cake pan onto a serving plate.
6. Once the cake has cooled, dissolve the coffee in boiling water. Add to confectioner’s sugar and stir until thinned, but not runny. Pour icing over cake, pouring from the crown of the cake and letting it drip down the sides.
NOTE: You can replace the margarine and coffee whitener with their healthier counterparts, but the cake comes out a bit more moist and stays fresh a bit longer with the original ingredients.
TIP: Use good-quality chocolate chips — it makes a difference!