These tarts have an elegant yet rustic home-made look about them, making them easy to dress up or down. They take no more than 5 minutes to throw together, making them the perfect choice for a last minute dessert. They are best when served within 6 hours of baking time.
- 8 puff pastry pre-cut squares (12 x 12 cm/5 x 5 inches) (see Note) -
- 2 cups red seedless grapes -
- 2 cups green seedless grapes -
- 1 beaten egg yolk for brushing -
- ¼ cup sweet dessert wine -
- Granulated sugar for dusting -
- Whipped cream for garnishing -
1 .Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place 4 pastry squares on baking sheet. Poke holes with the tines of a fork all over each square.
3. Bake pastry for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
4. Cover surface of each square with a layer of grapes, leaving a small border of dough all around. (If grapes are large, cut them in half.)
5. Cut one of the unbaked pastry squares into 4 even-sized strips. Place cut strips along the outer edges of a grape-covered square, forming a raised edge. Overlap dough strips at the corners and cut off any excess dough. Press down gently on dough strips along edges of each tart to secure them.
6. Repeat with remaining squares. Brush top of dough lightly with egg yolk.
7. Bake 15 minutes longer.
8. Remove tarts from oven. Brush grapes with a small amount of dessert wine and sprinkle with sugar. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream.
NOTE: Packages of frozen puff pastry are available in pre-cut squares. There are about 8 squares in a 400 gram package. For best results, defrost pastry in the refrigerator and don’t remove it until you are ready to use it.