Anyone who has my book Spice it Right knows that I am a big fan of pesto, using it whenever I can. I always keep some in the freezer, so this salad takes only moments to throw together.
- Pesto Recipe
- 2½ cups basil leaves -
- 4 T Tbsp pine nuts -
- 2 garlic cloves, minced -
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt -
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional) -
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil -
- Pesto Pasta
- 1 1-lb (500 g) package dry fusilli pasta -
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered -
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts -
1. In a food processor, blend the basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese (if using), salt and pepper. After about 10 seconds – while the machine is still in motion – stream in the olive oil very slowly. Continue to mix until well blended.
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with pesto.
2. Add the tomatoes and pine nuts and toss again.
3. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe was featured in Mishpacha Magazine's Kosher Inspired, November 2010.