My favorite dip with thick, ridged chips, or fresh potato latkes!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil -
- 1 extra large Vidalia onion or 2 regular, cut in slices -
- 2 cloves garlic minced -
- 1 tbsp. onion soup mix (no added msg) dissolved in -
- ½ cup hot water -
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper -
- 8 oz. whipped cream cheese -
- 2 cups sour cream (light sour cream also works) -
Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onions and garlic. Let cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until soft slightly browned. Add dissolved onion soup mix and black pepper and let cook for 5 more minutes or until liquid has cooked itself out. Remove from flame and cool slightly.
Meanwhile, mix cream cheese and sour cream in a large bowl. Add cooked onion mixture and combine very well. I like to smooth mixture out with a few pulses from an immersion blender. Refrigerate up to 3 days.