Making esrog liqueur is an excellent way to preserve the essence of Sukkos all year long. Like the fragrance of an esrog, the smell of this liqueur is outstanding, and the taste
- 3-4 esrogim -
- 2½ cups 150-proof pure vodka -
- ½ tsp orange extract -
- 2 quarts water -
- 5 lbs. sugar -
1. Peel the esrogim with a potato peeler, making sure to remove only the yellow rind. Discard the pulp.
2. Place the rind in an airtight jar with the vodka and orange extract and let sit for a minimum of 3 weeks.
3. After 3 weeks, make a syrup combining the water and sugar: pour both the water and sugar into a saucepan and stir on low heat until the mixture thickens and turns into a syrup.
4. Cool slightly and add the flavored alcohol into the syrup. Mix slightly and pour into airtight bottles (pickling jars can be used).
5. Let the liqueur mature in a cool dark place for a minimum of 2 months.