I like this recipe for its smooth texture and healthy ingredients. It is low fat and lasts nicely in the refrigerator (about 10 days). Best of all, it is so versatile!
- eggplant - 1 medium (about 1½ lbs.)
- onion - 3 Tbsp minced
- olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice - 3 Tbsp
- salt - 1½ tsp
- pepper - ¼ tsp
- sugar - 1 tsp
1. Preheat your oven to 475° F.
2. Use a paring knife to pierce the eggplant in several places to allow the steam to escape. Bake eggplant in a shallow baking dish until skin is dark brown, turning it occasionally, unitl it has collapsed, about 40 to 45 minutes.
3. When it is cool, remove the peel by tearing it away from the flesh. Remove any long strands of seeds. Discard seeds and any juices.
4. Put eggplant in food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in onion, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar. Transfer to a bowl, and chill.
NOTE: Serve for breakfast, lunch, supper or shalosh seudos as a dip with pita chips or in a
sandwich with tomatoes and bread or pita.