This dish is also delicious topped with toastedchopped pecans. Cider will lend the glaze a thickerappearance and an earthier flavor, but apple juiceworks well, too.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil 2 shallots, finely chopped -
- ? cup chopped fresh sage -
- 1 tsp salt -
- ¼ tsp pepper -
- 2 medium Delicata squash (or other winter squash such as kabocha), about 2 pounds, peeled and cubed -
- ½ cup water -
- 1½ cups apple cider or apple juice -
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar -
- 2 Tbsp honey -
1. In frying pan set over low flame, heat oil. Add shallots. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in sage, salt, and pepper for 1 more minute. 2. Add squash to pan and stir until well coated with herbs. Pour in water, apple cider, vinegar, and honey. Cook, stirring often, for 20–25 minutes or until squash is tender and well glazed.