This is a special summer salad that uses wonderful, fresh ingredients and, best of all, it
- olive oil - ¼ cup
- white wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Salt - and pepper to taste
- grape tomatoes - 1 cup halved
- cucumber - 1 cup seeded and chopped
- red onion - 1 cup sliced
- olives - ¼ cup pitted and halved kalamata
- basil - 2 Tbsp chopped fresh
- mozzarella - ½ cup fresh, cubed (when serving with dairy)
- baguette - ½, halved lengthwise, brushed with olive oil
- tomato - ½
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Whisk olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper together and set aside.
3. Toss vegetables, olives and basil together in a bowl. (Include mozzarella if making the salad dairy.)
4. Grill baguette, cut side down, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Grill the tomato half alongside it as well. Rub the grilled bread with the cut side of the tomato. Cool. Slice bread into cubes, add to vegetables and toss with vinaigrette.
NOTES: You can add the croutons up to half an hour before serving. They are supposed to soak up a bit of the dressing, but not get too soft. If you like your croutons crispy, add them right before serving. If you are serving buffet style, add them as close to mealtime as possible.