I have to confess, it was my cousin Ruchi who requested this recipe. I was making these latkes one day while she was over (they are my children
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (I prefer 1%) -
- 1 lb. farmer cheese -
- 4 eggs -
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp flour -
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or less — or substitute with Splenda) -
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar -
- Low-sugar strawberry jam for garnish -
- Oil for frying -
1. Simply place all the ingredients except oil into a large mixing bowl. Using an immersion blender, blend all the ingredients until a thick batter forms.
2. Heat 2 frying pans with a thin layer of oil. Drop in batter, a tablespoonful at a time. You may have to adjust the temperature so that the first side doesn’t burn before you are ready to flip the latkes over. Once the batter has firmed up somewhat and the bottom side is brown, flip over until cooked on the second side.
3. Remove from the pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
VARIATION: I sometimes add a bit of jam into the middle of the latke right before it firms up. To do this, make a small indentation in the center with a spoon and place a small amount of jam in the indentation. Flip over carefully. Enjoy!