This elegant relish is a light, refreshing side dish for any meat or chicken entree. The bright colors are a treat for the eyes and the contrast of the tart oranges and sweet cranberry sauce will delight your palate. An excellent recipe for all those who like to be organized and make things in advance.
- 3 oranges -
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) whole-berry cranberry sauce -
- 2 small cans (10 oz. each) whole segment mandarin slices -
- ¾ cup pomegranate arils -
- Toasted slivered almonds for garnishing -
1. Slice each orange into two halves. Remove the flesh from the middle by using a sharp knife and cutting all around the edge. You will be left with half of an empty orange rind to be used as a small bowl. Freeze the orange peel bowls. (Use orange flesh in a fruit salad or just enjoy it as a snack!)
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cranberry sauce, mandarin slices and pomegranate arils. When ready to serve, remove the orange “bowls” from the freezer and fill with cranberry sauce mixture.
3. Garnish with toasted slivered almonds.