If you want to try a twist on a Chanukah classic, try this specialty, spicy Spanish doughnut.
- 2/3 cup lowfat milk or milk substitute -
- such as soy or rice milk -
- (for pareve churros) -
- 6 Tbsp canola oil -
- Pinch of salt -
- 2 Tbsp sugar -
- ½ tsp cinnamon -
- ¼ tsp each nutmeg and ground cloves -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract -
- 1 cup all purpose flour -
- 3 eggs -
- Canola oil for frying -
- ½ cup white sugar mixed with 1/3 tsp -
- cinnamon, set aside in a shallow bowl -
1. Heat the milk, canola oil, salt, sugar and spices in a small pot on high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Add the flour and mix well using a wooden spoon. You are creating a roux. Keep stirring until the roux is uniform and a thick skin forms on the bottom of the pot.3. Turn off the flame and continue stirring the roux.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition, until all the ingredients are well blended. You can use a hand mixer or continue to stir well with the wooden spoon.5. Affix a wide (1 inch) star tip to a pastry bag and fill the bag with the hot dough. Set it aside in a mug with the tip folded over so that the dough doesn’t escape from the bag. (If you don’t have a pastry bag, this recipe will also work with a cookie press.)
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan or a deep fryer to a depth of 3-4 inches, until it reaches 350F. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, heat the oil until a drop of water sprinkled on top quickly bubbles up and disappears. Place a pair of scissors in a cup of warm water.
7. When the oil is hot, pipe a 3-4-inch long tube into the oil, using scissors to cut the wet ends. (Longer churros may look more authentic but smaller ones are easier to make.)8. The churros tend to stick together in the oil, so only fry a few at a time, depending on how large your pan is. When they float to the top, fry them for 1-2 minutes longer, or until they are golden brown.
9. Remove the churros with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels.
10. While the churros are still hot, roll each one in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.