- 2 packages puff pastry squares -
- 5 chicken cutlets, cut into 2-inch squares -
- 1 cup Italian dressing -
- 1 egg, beaten -
- Mushroom Mixture
- 2 Tbsp olive oil -
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced -
- ¾ lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced horizontally and vertically -
- 2 Tbsp wine -
- 1 Tbsp flavored bread crumbs -
- Potato Mixture
- 4 potatoes -
- 1 tsp salt -
- ¼ tsp pepper -
- 1 Tbsp olive oil -
- 1 medium onion, diced -
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach -
- 2 Tbsp margarine -
- ¼ cup pareve coffee creamer -
- 1 egg -
1. Marinate chicken pieces in Italian dressing for 2–4 hours.
2. For mushroom mixture: Heat oil in a saucepan. Add shallots and mushrooms and sauté till translucent. Add wine. When the mixture begins to boil, add crumbs and remove from fire.
3. For potato mixture: Cook potatoes till soft. Drain and mash. Add salt and pepper. Set aside. Sauté onion in olive oil until soft. Add drained chopped spinach and stir. Add onions and spinach to potato mixture, followed by margarine, coffee creamer, and egg. Mix well.
4. To assemble: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place one puff pastry square on a flat surface. Place one tablespoon of mushroom mixture in the center. Top with chicken pieces and mashed potato mixture. Close by pulling opposite ends of square together to form an envelope. Brush with egg and repeat until all the squares are filled. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
This recipe is part of a contest "7 Amateur Chefs- Recipe Contest" click here to view the other entries.