Quiches are such an easy dish to serve any time of day for any meal. This quiche is light and fluffy with a rich taste. The walnuts add an unusual and delightful twist to this wonderful dish.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour -
- ½ tsp salt -
- ½ cup butter -
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese -
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts -
- 3 eggs -
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or Swiss cheese -
- ¾ cup sour cream -
- ½ cup finely chopped onions -
- ½ cup mayonnaise -
- ¼ tsp salt -
- 2.5 oz. (213 g) can of salmon, drained and flaked -
1. For crust: Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in Cheddar cheese and nuts. Set aside half the mixture for the topping and press the remaining mixture into the bottom of a well-greased 9-inch round Pyrex dish. Refrigerate until chilled.
2. For filling: Beat eggs in a bowl. Then blend in grated cheese, sour cream, onions, mayonnaise and salt. Fold in salmon. Pour salmon mixture into prepared pie shell and sprinkle reserved flour mixture on top.
3. Bake at 375° F for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
VARIATION: I sometimes substitute the onions in the filling for finely chopped chives. It adds a beautiful color.