Family and friends will be thrilled with this nutty, buttery, homemade caramel corn. It
- 8 cups popped popcorn -
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted -
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted -
- 11⁄3 cups sugar -
- 1 cup margarine or butter -
- ½ cup light-colored corn syrup -
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract -
1. Preheat oven to 200° F. Grease a large piece of foil and set aside. Remove all unpopped kernels from the popped popcorn.
2. In a 17-inch x 12-inch baking pan, combine popcorn, pecans and almonds. Place popcorn mixture in warm oven.
3. Using margarine or butter, grease the inside of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup margarine or butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils.
4. Clip candy thermometer to pan; reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring often, until thermometer registers 280° F, when the caramel reaches the soft-crack stage (about 15 minutes). Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in vanilla.
5. Remove popcorn mixture from oven. Carefully pour caramel mixture over warm popcorn mixture; using a wooden spoon, stir gently to coat. Spread popcorn mixture on prepared foil to cool. Using 2 forks, break popcorn mixture into clusters.