We used to look forward to my cousin Gita
- ½ lb. butter, melted -
- 4 eggs -
- 2 cups sugar -
- 1 large container sour cream (16 oz.) -
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar -
- 3 heaping tsp baking powder -
- 4 cups flour -
- ¼ cup milk -
- Strawberry sauce
- 4 cups strawberries -
- Sugar to taste -
- 2 Tbsp Slivovitz or vodka -
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a small saucepan on a low flame, heat the butter until melted.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the eggs and the sugar until creamy. Add sour cream, vanilla sugar and baking powder.
4. Meanwhile, remove the butter from heat and cool slightly. Add to mixture. Add flour and mix well.
5. The batter will be very thick; use the ¼ cup milk to thin it out.
6. Grease a 10-inch tube or Bundt pan with butter and fill with batter.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Check for readiness by inserting a skewer or a knife into the center of the cake.
1. Rinse and hull good-quality strawberries.
2. Macerate with sugar to taste and sprinkle with Slivovitz or vodka.
3. Let sit for about 1 hour at room temperature, lightly covered.
4. Serve cake in individual slices and garnish with a generous spoonful of strawberries.
NOTE: If you prefer, you can divide the batter in half and bake in 2 loaf pans. Baking time will be about 40 to 45 minutes.