This salad is light and refreshing with a nice blend of flavors. It is delicious at room temperature, so make sure that it is removed from the fridge several hours before serving. You might be tempted to omit the garlic, but the salad is simply not the same without it!
- bulgur wheat - 12 oz.
- cucumbers - 2 medium
- garlic - 2 cloves
- parsley - 1 handful fresh
- pine nuts - 4 oz. raw
- olive oil - 3 Tbsp extra virgin
- lemon - 3 Tbsp fresh juice
- Salt - and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place bulgur wheat in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over wheat to cover, plus an extra inch. Cover. Leave to soak for 10 minutes.
2. Slice cucumbers lengthwise, then lengthwise again. Chop into small fan-shaped pieces.
3. Chop garlic cloves and parsley.
4. Drain and stir bulgur wheat. Mix with cucumbers, garlic, parsley and pine nuts.
5. Combine oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Mix well into salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
NOTES: You may want to toast the pine nuts by placing them in an oven set at 350° F for 5 to 10 minutes.
You can make this salad before Shabbos and refrigerate. Adding diced cherry tomatoes might be a nice variation, but they should only be added a short while before serving.