This rice goes really well with any meat or chicken. It is easy to make and has beautiful colors that will dress up any plate. I have made it to accompany both meat and fish dishes and it really adds a special touch to the meal.
- 2 cups basmati rice (either white or brown) -
- ½ cup dried cranberries (craisins) -
- 2 Tbsp olive oil -
- 1 Spanish onion, diced, or 1 cup pearl onions, peeled -
- ½ tsp ground ginger -
- 1 Tbsp orange zest or dried orange peel -
- 2 tsp dried cilantro or 1½ tsp fresh -
- 1 tsp salt -
1. Cook the rice in salted water according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, place the dried cranberries in a bowl and add boiling water just to cover. Let sit for half an hour. Drain well.
3. In a pan, heat oil. Sauté the onions, add ginger and sauté 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add remaining ingredients to the rice and mix well. Serve warm.
NOTE: For additional color and crunch, stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds before serving.