- 2 eggs -
- 1¼ cups sugar -
- 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar -
- 2½ tsp baking powder -
- ½ cup orange juice -
- ½ cup canola oil -
- 2 cups flour -
- ½ cup boiling water -
- Pinch of salt -
- Addition of your choice (see Variations below) -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 compartments of a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Using a whisk, mix eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar, baking powder, orange juice and oil together in a large bowl until combined. Add flour, boiling water and salt. Whisk just until batter is smooth.
3. Gently fold in the addition of your choice until evenly distributed. (See Note below about adding blueberries or cranberries.)
4. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin pans, filling them almost to the top.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.
Blueberry: Add 1½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) mixed with 1 Tbsp flour to the batter.
Cranberry: Mix 1 cup frozen cranberries with ¼ cup sugar; add to the batter.
Chocolate Chip: Fold 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter.
Cherry Pecan: Fold in ¾ cup chopped toasted pecans and ¾ cup dried cherries into the batter.
NOTE: When using blueberries or cranberries, you may prefer to fill the muffin compartments with batter before adding the fruit. Then simply push in the berries gently with your finger! This method helps prevent the color from leaking into the batter and discoloring it.