This batter is flavored with cinnamon andvanilla and results in a thin coating ofbatter on the bananas when cooked.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour -
- ¼ tsp baking soda -
- 1 tsp cinnamon -
- ¼ tsp nutmeg -
- 2 Tbsp sugar -
- 1 cup milk or pareve plain soy milk -
- 1 large egg -
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract -
- 5 large bananas, just turned yellow (ripe bananas get too soft when cooking) -
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting, if desired -
1. Place the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar into a medium bowl. Whisk together. Add the milk or soy milk, egg, and vanilla and mix together but not until smooth — it should be a little lumpy.
2. Peel bananas and slice on an angle into 2-inch-long pieces. Heat two inches of oil in a small saucepan until the temperature is 370°F. Place 4–5 banana pieces into the batter. Use a fork or wooden skewer to remove, shake off excess and add to the hot oil. Cook for 2–3 minutes, or until golden.
3. Place on a wire rack sitting over a baking sheet to cool. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and eat immediately.