- 6 whole apples -
- Ground cinnamon -
- ½ can whole cranberry sauce -
- Golden raisins (about 6 tsp) -
- Slivered almonds (optional) -
- Crumb Topping
- ½ stick margarine -
- 1 cup flour -
- ½ cup brown sugar -
1. Core the apples ¾ of the way down the center, leaving the bottom of the hole intact.
2. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. Fill with cranberry sauce, golden raisins and almonds, if using.
4. Combine ingredients for topping and sprinkle over filling.
5. Bake uncovered in a preheated 325° F oven for 30 to 45 minutes, checking apples often towards the end. If the peel starts to crack, remove from oven.
6. Serve warm.
TIPS I like to use Granny Smith apples, as they hold their shape beautifully. When using Granny Smith apples, you must bake for a longer time than if using Macintosh or other baking apples.
You can make this a day in advance by underbaking the apples slightly and finishing the baking process right before serving.
Use cherry pie filling for more of a dessert flavor and serve with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.