I met a woman who told me that for the past eleven years, she has served her family only homemade whole wheat bread. I thought that was really nice, but it wasn
- fresh bakery yeast or equivalent - 4 oz. (see NOTES, page 19)
- warm water - 5 cups (approximately)
- sugar - 1 Tbsp
- whole wheat flour - 3 lbs.
- all-purpose flour - 2 lbs.
- honey - ½ cup
- eggs - 3
- oil - ½ cup
- salt - 3 Tbsp
1. Place the yeast, water and sugar into the large bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with a dough hook. Once it has proofed, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well on high speed for a full 5 minutes.
2. Cover dough and let rise for 1½ hours.
3. After dough has risen, take challah, then cut dough into 5 even pieces and place each piece into its own nonstick loaf pan.
4. Cover and let rise for another half hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for 45 minutes.