Garlic bread and garlic knots really need no introduction. This loaf is a sort of combination of the two. It makes for a beautiful presentation and is a wonderful addition to any meal. You can leave out the Parmesan cheese if you want to make it pareve
- ready-to-bake challah - 1 2-lb. frozen, defrosted
- olive oil - 4 Tbsp (plus more for smearing)
- garlic - 9 cloves, minced
- Parmesan cheese - ¼ cup
- kosher salt - 1 tsp (plus more for sprinkling)
- parsley - ¼ cup fresh, chopped (plus more for sprinkling)
- Egg Wash - 1 yolk plus 1 Tbsp water, mixed well
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Greece a loaf pan.
2. In a frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté until browned. Remove from flame and cool.
3. Meanwhile, roll the dough into a large rectangle — about 12” x 16”. Smear with oil/garlic mixture and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese, salt and chopped parsley evenly. Roll up the dough (on the longer side).
4. Cut a piece of parchment paper a bit longer than the roll. Sprinkle additional salt and chopped parsley evenly over the sheet. Place the roll at the top of the sheet and smear with olive oil. Roll the dough gently toward you along the sheet, picking up the parsley and salt while doing so.
5. Cut dough in 20 even pieces. Line up 2 rows of 5 pieces at the bottom of the pan; swirl should be visible. Repeat with another 2 rows of 5 on top of the first row. Let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size, then brush with egg wash and bake for 40 minutes.